Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Laughlin, Hoover Dam and Vegas - What a great visit!

Since we last talked we have gone from Arizona to Nevada to California and now Oregon. We have traveled over 9,000 miles (almost 10,000) and we are finally, yes FINALLY, OUT OF THE DESERT! 

Now don't get me wrong, the desert is beautiful in it's own way. I never in a million years would have believed there were so many mountains in the desert, never would I have believed there were so few REAL trees (bigger than a bush) or no grass, nor would I have believed that the desert was soooooo HUGE if I had not been blessed with visiting there.  The spring cacti blooms are amazing. The landscape is truly beautiful with the mountains and when there are no mountains, you can see for such a long way, it really is beautiful and the sunsets, don't get me started....I loved it while I was there, but then my heart began longing for some green trees, some green grass and water!
BEAUTIFUL ARIZONA!!!


When we left Arizona, I thought we were leaving the desert, nope, got to Nevada, still desert, then of course my hopes were filled thinking we were almost to California, and nope, still desert!  My cry to God was PLEASE LORD, GIVE ME SOME GREEN!!!! (and I wasn't talking money...lol)  

But I am getting ahead of myself, lets drop back to Nevada....Our amazing trip to Laughlin, Hoover Dam and Vegas!

As most of you know, I lived down south in New Port Richey, FL for about 8 years.  While I was down there I made some amazing friends...You all know who you are :) and I love you all more than you know.  Two of those friends are Joe and Maggie.  They have been following us on our journey since we started out back in February of 2014.  As we got closer to Nevada, they told me they were going to Vegas to see if our schedules would line up, each time, we were about 3 weeks ahead of their planned vacation trip...Until....my hysterectomy.  When they heard about our time delay, we re- checked our itinerary and low and behold, our schedules now matched, perfectly.  

They told us about Laughlin,NV, how beautiful it was, a town right on the Colorado River.  Momma immediately found a campground that we could stay at, reservations booked and schedules matched...Now we wait!  The day finally got there for us to see each other again.  What a beautiful and joyous reunion.  We had not seen each other in over 3 years.  As I shared with Momma and Daddy, they were family to me.  Once they love you, you are theirs!  So, it was really so great to see them again and to catch up.  They said they wanted to see the rig and see how we set up so as we traveled they would know exactly what we were talking about.  We gave the grand 5 minute tour of the rig then shared a wonderful lunch together before going down to the river.  Our visit was wonderful, just way too short. 

The next day, they were to return to Vegas and we were to head down Route 66 to visit a little ghost town, Oatman, from back in the day.  Joe and Maggie told us about where the donkeys, no excuse me the burros, were left there when the miners left, so now they just roam the town and have the right of way.  What a great time we had, they did an old west shoot out reenactment and everything.  We were back in the old west for sure.

I so love that the rents are still doing their date night even on our trip.  For those of you that don't know, they have always done Date Night, at least twice a month as long as I can remember, dress up, go to dinner, go play, whatever, but just the two of them.  That evening, Momma and Daddy decided to do a Date Night into Laughlin and do the river walk and get dinner.  I am so very thankful for parents that have always showed us what a Happy Married Couple looks like, and after (almost) 55 years of marriage, they are still head over heals in love with each other and actually LOVE spending time together!  I love that!!! 
Time came to head on to the Hoover Dam.  Oh and WOW the Hoover Dam!  That place was amazing.  So wild to see in real life just how big it really is.  I have only seen it on TV or in the movies and you just don't grasp the size and the amount of water it holds.  Of course we drove up in the rv on our way through.  Had I known, I probably would not have driven so blindly up there. It does however make you feel a  little better when you see bigger rigs than yours doing it.  We made it in and out without any problems and had a great HOT time touring.  

We had our Check Engine light come on after the dam.  So we decided to stop at Camping World to have it checked which, led us to having to stay the night in Vegas, which turned out to be a WONDERFUL adventure!  I wanted my picture in front of the Vegas sign, well because it is like the bouy down in the Keys, you just gotta get a picture there and Momma wanted to see Vegas at night with all the lights, and well, so did I.  So we set out to accomplish both, picture, CHECK, Vegas strip at night, CHECK, but what we did not know was going to happen was getting to see Vegas at night 51 stories in the air.  That was one of those moments I will never forget!  Joe and Maggie invited us to their hotel and got us in to see Vegas from their rooftop.  AHHH MAAAAZING!  We also got to see some folks do the zip line from one hotel to the other, YIKES, NO THANK YOU, and yep, you guessed it, Momma soooo wanted to do it.  I so love her adventurous spirit!  So our Vegas adventure was spectacular, and the best part was I got to see Joe and Maggie again!

Now back to the Engine Light, another Praise God story!  We got a new gas cap and it wasn't sealing properly, and emissions issue, that's it!  WOOO HOOO Thank you Jesus!  

RV cleared for take off, so we were back on the road that next morning, off to California.  I was super excited at the thought, I was finally on the West Coast, HA, never thought I would be in California.  Well, never thought I would be driving an rv on a 2 year mission trip across the US either, but you know what I mean?!?!?!  Crazy part is that we left Nevada and crossed into California, and it was still desert.  I really think I should have paid a whole lot more attention in school, because WOW that desert is huge.

We were heading to Turlock Lake Recreation area in California.  Following that GPS thing, well we ended up in the middle of NOWHERE!!!  But the cool part of the nowhere was that it was actually in the middle of hundreds of acres of grapes and hundreds of acres of almond trees.  Mile after mile, as far as the eye could see, it was absolutely beautiful.  We realized we were lost when it told us to turn down a dirt road that dead ended :)  We then grabbed the phone, HA, no service...Gotta love it!  Daddy and I unhooked the car and got our rig turned around in one of those almond groves/orchards/fields whatever the correct wording is for that.  Back down the road 1/2 mile before we were able to make a call, got the ranger and made our way to the campground....Let me just say here....God heard our cry for green! 

I'll share more about that in our next post as well as Yosemite! 

Enjoy the pictures down below....

Keep the prayers coming!  We feel them and need them!!!
Kristi
Carol & Bob
RV'n 4 Jesus
Galatians 6:9-10


If you would like to donate or would like to sponsor us, the information is below. If you have any questions or concerns, please just let us know and we will get back with you right away.

Donations and Sponsors are welcomed and most appreciated!
Giving is a blessing for others as well as a blessing to us.

PayPal account -  Enter kristiskreations1@yahoo.com (my business account) and follow the instructions.
To mail a check - please send it to our home church ~
First Baptist Church Salt Springs 
C/O Mary Beth Gervais
24100 NE Hwy 314 
Salt Springs, FL 32134.

Either way, whether you choose to make a contribution or not, please know that your prayers are very much wanted, needed and appreciated. We are walking by faith and know that God will provide! Thank you and God Bless!



BIG BEND OF THE COLORADO RIVER STATE PARK 
AND OUR JOE AND MAGGIE VISIT!

















ROUTE 66 & OATMAN




















HOOVER DAM 
























VEGAS

Love you Maggie!!!
Only thing missing is you Jen!!




watching the zip line





Love ya'll and thank you for a
wonderful experience!!!
(WOW do I need some color - LOL :))



No comments:

Post a Comment